Trademark registration in Singapore. Singapore is following “first to file” principle. Therefore you should apply your trademark into Intellectual Property Office of Singapore (IPOS) as soon as possible. Singapore is currently a signatory to: Madrid protocol, Paris convention, Nice Agreement (Classification of Goods and Services International).
What is trademark in Singapore?
According to Singapore law, “trade mark” means any sign capable of being represented graphically and which is capable of distinguishing goods or services dealt with or provided in the course of trade by a person from goods or services so dealt with or provided by any other person
The above signs could be letter, word, name, signature, numeral, device, brand, heading, label, ticket, shape, colour, aspect of packaging or any combination thereof.
Why you need to register trademarks in Singapore?
In Singapore, trademark registration is not mandatory, however, you really should consider registering since it will bring you a lot of advantages. A registered trademark grants the owner of the mark, the statutory right to use and exploit the mark in the jurisdiction of its registration and certain priorities and advantages in registering the trademark in other jurisdictions.
Some of the key benefits include:
- Right to exclusive usage of the mark.
- Barring others from copying it.
- Benefiting from the increasing market value of the mark.
- Quality assurance for your customers.
- Branding through mark recognition.
- License for commercial use by third parties thus creating a source of revenue.
Trademark search in Singapore
Before you register trademark in Singapore, it is advised that you should conduct the trademark search. The purpose of the search is to examine if there are any similar trademark registered based on the published database of Intellectual Property Office of Singapore (IPOS). The search result will show the possibility of successful registration.
Required documents for registering trademark in Singapore
– Sample of trademark ( by email).
– Name and address of Applicant.
– List of goods/ services which are bearing trademark.
– Power of attorney (free download).
– Documents for priority claim.
It often takes 8-12 months in a smooth case for registering trademark in Singapore.
The application will be pass three stages:
#Stage 1: Applying trademark application in Singapore and Formal examination.
#Stage 2: Publishing application.
Any third parties may file the opposition application based on the ground that the applied trademark could not be protected in Singapore in accordance with the prescribed regulations.
#Stage 3: Granting trademark registration certificate
Trademark certificate is protected in 10 years from the time of filling the application and can be renewed.
Our Service for trademark registration in Singapore.
– Free trademark preliminary search and advice before filing trademark application.
– Conducting a official trademark search with examinator’s advice
– Classifying goods/service which are bearing trademark.
– Filing trademark application in IPOS.
– Follow the application and respond to IPOS (if required).
– Auto update status of application from filing to granting.